Therapy Dogs are trained and certified to provide comfort and/or assistance in a variety of activities. Therapy Dogs are handled by their owners, who are typically volunteers.
Request a visit by DOC Therapy Dog Teams via email at email@example.com.
DOGS ON CALL – (334) 395-4489
How to Become a Therapy Dog Team
DOGS ON CALL offers six-week Therapy Dog training sessions twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Session dates are announced on the DOC’s website and on Facebook.
Before attending a DOC Basic Training Course, the DOC requires that a dog should be able to walk quietly on a leash and sit and stay on command. During the first class session of the DOC Basic Training Course, each dog is evaluated by the DOC Trainers to determine if its temperament is right for Therapy Dog work. To learn more about the class, download a printable outline of the DOC Therapy Training Course.
Each Certified Therapy Dog team must meet the following Basic Certification requirements:
- Dog must test and receive the AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Certificate
- Dog and handler must successfully complete the DOC Basic Training Course
- Dog and handler must pass the DOC Basic Certification Test
- Owner must provide copies of dog’s current Medical Record for Rabies and Negative Fecal
- Dog and handler must complete three Observations with a DOC Trainer at established venues
We will be glad to answer any questions you might have about Therapy Dogs. Please contact us via our online form.